Javari Temple...Khajuraho

See video
prakash manjrekar

Javari temple is located in the eastern area of Khajuraho, originally built by the Chandella rulers.This temple dedicated to Vishnu, is situated about 200 meters to the south of the Vamana temple. It is assumed that the temple dates back to a period between AD 1075 and 1100. The name Javari is derived from the one time owner of the land. The sanctum contains a four armed broken and headless idol of Lord Vishnu. It is a Nirandhara Prasada type of temple, meaning there is no pradakshina around the inner sanctum. The temple is mainly popular for its highly crafted entrance with beautiful Makara Arch.The entrance gate of sanctum has sculptures depicting nava-graha on the top with Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva sculptures. It has three bands of carved sculptures on the outer wall including voluptuous nymphs and amorous couples. The temple has a close resemblance with Chaturbhuja Temple.